Thursday, April 06, 2006

Simple Pleasures

Papa Peanut and I have been corresponding about the amazing capacity of children to delight in the simple things. Anyone who has ever been in the presence of a small child knows this to be true. A dog, a toy, mom's keys, Daddy's name tag, play-doh, the sound of a bird. Any of these can cause a little one to squeal with delight. Today was a day filled with such little pleasures around our home.

First, Miss P expressed utter enchantment this morning with our parking garage.

Miss: "Mommy, isn't it nice out here?"

Me (Doubtfully surveying the dirty, dark garage): "Hmmmm, what do you like about it?"

Miss (Gazing up, and using both hands to reach toward the ceiling): "The LIGHTS!! Aren't they nice? And they make me so . . . lighty!"

Later in the day, a moment of sheer joy swept over then entire household, as the beloved magna doodle (thought to be lost by the movers) was found. I think that every neighbor in our building could hear the shrieks of glee . . . "My Doooodle!! My Doooodle!!"


Master, meanwhile, is experiencing baby-sized delights all his own, such as learning to pull himself up to standing while holding on to the couch. He accomplished this feat for the first time yesterday, and today he tried repeatedly to do it again. When he finally made it, he turned, looked at his sister and I, and laughed as if to say, "I did it! I am invincible! There is no stopping me now!"


One of the best things about spending my day with these little ones is the reminder of how wonderful the smallest things can be. They teach me to appreciate each blessing, however insignificant it may seem. I often hear profuse expressions of thanks from Miss for very little things, and it reminds me of my lack of gratitude for what I have been given. Sadly, I often complain more than I rejoice. I hope that I can learn to be more like these little peanuts, in this very important way.

No comments: