Thursday, April 13, 2006

Maundy Thursday

"Are you not thirsty?" said the Lion.
"I'm dying of thirst," said Jill.
"Then drink," said the Lion.
"May I - could I - would you mind going
away while I do?" said Jill.
The Lion answered this only by a look and a
very low growl. And as Jill gazed at its
motionless bulk, she realised that she might as
well have asked the whole mountain to move
aside for her convenience.
The delicious rippling noise of the stream was
driving her nearly frantic.
"Will you promise not to - do anything to
me, if I do come?" said Jill.
"I make no promise," said the Lion.
Jill was so thirsty now that, without noticing
it, she had come a step nearer.
"Do you eat girls?" she said.
"I have swallowed up girls and boys, women
and men, kings and emperors, cities and
realms," said the Lion. It didn't say this as if it
were boasting, nor as if it were sorry, nor as if it
were angry. It just said it.
"I daren't come and drink," said Jill.
"Then you will die of thirst," said the Lion.
"Oh dear!" said Jill, coming another step
nearer. "I suppose I must go and look for
another stream then."
"There is no other stream," said the Lion.

C.S. Lewis
The Silver Chair
chap. 2, pp. 16-17.

No comments: