Friday, May 26, 2006

What We're Reading

This week we've been reading:

Master:


Hey big guys, open your eyes!
What do you say, it's a brand new day!


We've owned this one for a while, and it's a favorite around here. Quoted in all sorts of situations.

Miss:


We found this one at the library last week, and Miss absolutely loves it. Very fun illustrations.

Me:


I've enjoyed this book more and more as I've read through it. Some of my favorite insights so far include:

No wonder our youth is confused and in pain; they long for God, for the transcendent, and are offered, far too often, either piosity or sociology, neither of which meets their needs, and they are introduced to churches which have become buildings that are a safe place to go to escape the awful demands of God.

But my husband and I have been encouraged by the fact that we ourselves have learned something about love and honor and loyalty as we have tried to teach these values to our children . . . This is a humbling process, but also a joyful one.

So I know, with a sense of responsibility that hits me with a cold fist in the pit of my stomach, that what I am is going to make more difference to my own children and those I talk to and teach than anything I tell them.


Read that last one again. I read it over and over when I ran into it in the book. A simple truth, but a profound one. I'm off to start the day with the littles, praying that God would give me the grace to make who I am more like that person I would like to be. More like Him.

No comments: