Friday, May 19, 2006

First Minnesota Playdate!


Today I took the little Peanuts to play at the brand new house of our brand new friends. We met Sherri and her two little boys on the playground here at our apartment, and hit it off right away. Unfortunately, she moved a few days after we met, but promised to call me so that the kids could get together and play. I wondered if we would just lose touch, but she did indeed call this week, and we went for a visit today. The kids had a wonderful time, and the mommies enjoyed some grown-up conversation. We have so much in common, having both just moved here from California and having husbands who are both putting in some really long hours at work right now. It felt like an answer to prayer when she called this week, because I was just starting to feel a bit lonely with Mr. being so busy at the new store.

Not only was the playdate fun, but we also had the opportunity to see our friends' new house. It. was. huge. Four bedrooms, a den, a formal dining room, a living room, a large playroom, four bathrooms, and the kitchen that dreams are made of. Beautiful. It was just an amazing place. I loved looking at all the neat-o features, and Miss loved going up and down the stairs. When we left, I asked if she liked the wonderful playroom, and she replied, "No, I liked the stairs."

So, as we hunt for houses, we'll skip the playroom and look for stairs as our primary feature of choice. I can't help but wonder what it would be like to live in a home like that. I wouldn't want to clean it. Especially the four bathrooms. Ugh. Yes, I'll just remember that and be content with the teeny tiny home we will buy someday. Less space to clean, more proximity to my beloved and my children. No room to get away from each other is good for family unity, right?! Right?!

Seriously, though, I am happy for Sherri and her family because they are so thrilled with their new home. I am equally excited to start looking for a house that we will love. I know it will be smaller, and in a very different location, but we love the idea of living in the city and will be just as thrilled to have a little bungalow there as our friends are to have their giant house in the new suburban development. And, as long as I can come visit her kitchen and playroom occasionally, I will be fine.

No comments: