Saturday, August 12, 2006

How do I make her stay in bed, if I can't keep a straight face?

Ahh, the never-ending upheaval regarding naptime continues in the Peanut household. Today, Miss decided (of her own volition) to take a nap. She slept for about 90 minutes, woke up refreshed, and had a lovely, fuss-free afternoon.

As I write this entry, it is 9:50 PM, Central Standard Time. I have just ushered Miss back into her bedroom for the umpteenth time since tucking her in at 8:00 PM. She first came gazing into the living room a few minutes after I put her down, while I was nursing Master. She sauntered over towards us, thumb firmly planted in her mouth. She stood there for a second, popped the thumb out, and then said (as if she was delivering earth-shattering news):

"He (master) has little bears on his p-jammies!"

"Yep. He sure does. (Trying not to laugh) Go to bed."

This is her little way. She does not cry, scream, or fight the instruction to go back to bed. She just comes out, takes a look, delivers tidings of great importance like those noted above, and walks back to the bedroom. We hear about the fact that she is going to Mr. Lunt's house tomorrow. Or, we hear about Stanley (her stuffed dog) being a disobedient little boy. Or -- best of all -- we hear, "Guys . . . . *sigh* I just really love you guys."

It is difficult to avoid laughing. I try. I really do.

These visits are becoming less and less frequent, because they only occur when she has taken a nap. She usually skips the nap these days, and passes out the moment her head hits the pillow. Of course, on those nights, she comes to visit us in our room at approximately 3:00 AM. I find it much easier not to laugh at that hour.

Someday, she will go to bed, sleep all night, and will even want to sleep in sometimes. I hope. But I'm sure that, when that happens, I'll miss these nighttime visits a little bit. It's always nice to have a reason to laugh. Even if I have to hold in the laughter until her little blonde head has disappeared down the hall.

No comments: