Saturday, July 15, 2006

This Is a House, A Napping House, Where Everyone is Sleeping

As I write this entry, all of my fellow Peanuts are settled into a deep sleep. By the time 8:00 arrived, Miss was actually overheard saying, "I just need to go to bed."

Master quickly followed.

And Mr. (who reported for work at 4AM) is now unconscious on the couch.

We are all a little bit sluggish around here. The children have *not* been sleeping well since we returned from our trip to California. We have been home for almost two weeks, but each night one or the other (or both) of my little Peanuts has had some difficulty sleeping through the night. Almost every night, at approximately 3 AM, I receive a visit from Miss, who usually just asks to get in bed with us, and then totters back toward her bedroom when I say "uh . . . no."

I think that she is beginning to enjoy this ritual. When I deposit her back into her own bed, she has taken to asking, "Mommy, is my bed juuuust right?"

This is her favorite line from "Goldilocks and the Three Bears."

Cute, eh?

Not at 3 AM.

Master, on the other hand, appears to be changing his eating habits and is suddenly more interested in nursing than he is in eating solid foods. Our once ravenous-for-anything little guy is now tossing most anything we offer him off of the highchair tray whilst screaming and flailing his little arms. As a consequence, he is usually very hungry by about 5 AM, at which time he vociferously informs me of his need for nourishment.

And so, between my night visits from Miss and hungry little Master, I am getting very little sleep. I am also getting a bit *cranky*. I realized again today how much my attitude affects the attitudes of the children and the general tone of the household. It is hard to face that responsibility when I am tired and somewhat overwhelmed. But, it is so important to recognize it, and to try to be an example to the kiddos of maintaining perspective, even when things aren't going as well as I would like. Rather than becoming just as whiny as my sleep-deprived 3 year old, I need to make the best of the situation and remember what a privilege it truly is to mother and care for these children.

Here's hoping for a good night sleep, and the grace to keep going even if that doesn't happen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for talking about the "sleep problems"! We will be praying for a good night sleep tonight all around!