Friday, July 21, 2006

Gotta Love Those Scientists . . .

Master has a fever today, and is a sad little man. I have been holding him for most of the day, and I anticipate very little sleep for mommy tonight.

When the littles are sick, I am sometimes surprised by the maternal instinct that kicks in and allows me to care for them. I don't really mind the waking up and work involved, because they so desperately depend on me for nourishment and comfort.

Apparently, the maternal instinct is now verified by scientific research! Thanks to Cousin W, who sent this to me yesterday . . . .

From Fox News:

Scientists find that moms consistently rank the stink of their baby's "number two" as No. 1.

In a new study, 13 mothers were asked to sniff soiled diapers belonging to both their own child and others from an unrelated baby. The women consistently ranked the smell of their own child's feces as less revolting than that of other babies. ...One possible explanation is that the mothers were simply more accustomed to their baby's stink and therefore found it less repulsive.

A more intriguing possibility, the researchers say, is that the mothers' reactions are an evolutionary adaptation allowing them to overcome their natural disgust so that they can properly care for their babies.


So there you have it.

Here's hoping that Master looks more like this tomorrow:


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! I am glad you liked the article. I actually don't mind cleaning my kids' diapers because I feel sorry for them being dirty. What I find funniest, though, is how I have actually eaten my son's chewed up food! I would never ever EVER do this with anyone else...my husband included. ha ha.

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»