Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Poetry



Do you remember memorizing poems in elementary school? At our Christian school, we were required to memorize and perform one poem per year for the annual "Speech Meet." We were judged on our presentation, and the winners from each grade level were sent to a regional competition. I found it very easy to memorize the poems, but was always too embarrassed and shy to "ham it up" in front of my classmates and the judges. Thus, I was never chosen for the regional event.

In the fifth grade, however, I finally got wise to the system and decided to memorize a Bible passage instead of a fun, rhyming poem. No one else wanted to memorize the Bible, and the scripture recitals were judged in a separate category. So, I was advanced due to lack of competition, and had my big chance at the regional meet. I was truly excited about it, though a bit disappointed to find out that the big event was held about one mile from my house at the uninspiring Norwalk Nazarene Church. I was also disappointed to receive an "Excellent" ribbon, instead of "Superior." I found this somewhat unfair, because I had tackled my insecurities by adding a few feeble hand gestures to my presentation. Ah . . . the memories.

I can still recall some of the poems I learned, along with some of the ones my classmates learned (because we had to listen to each other practicing them so often).

Enough reminiscing. I do have a point.

Miss has started to memorize poems that we read together. She loves to recite them, and makes us laugh with her dramatic interpretations. We read them from an earlier edition of this book which was always on my parents' shelf when I was growing up. I have now absconded with it, and plan on using it often with the littles.

Of those Miss has learned, this is (by far) her favorite:

The Worm
Ralph Bergengren

When the earth is turned in spring
The worms are fat as anything.

And birds come flying all around
To eat the worms right off the ground.

They like worms just as much as I
Like bread and milk and apple pie.

And once, when I was very young,
I put a worm right on my tongue.

I didn't like the taste a bit,
And so I didn't swallow it.

But oh, it makes my Mother squirm
Because she thinks I ate that worm!

No comments: