Friday, June 02, 2006

Imagination

This visit from the Grandparents Peanut has been a wonderful one thus far. We have talked, sipped Caribou Coffee, shopped, cooked, and (most importantly) played. As my parents play with my children, it is always interesting to hear their observations about how the kids have changed since they last saw them. On this visit, they've remarked on Master's new ability to make it from one end of the apartment to the other in about five seconds flat. They've noticed that Miss is working on some *temper issues* right now. (Papa peanut has been busy chuckling, guffawing, snickering, and commenting on the similarities between Miss and myself at the age of three . . . especially in the *temper issues* area.)

But perhaps the most noticeable development in Miss Peanut right now has to do with her ever-expanding world of imagination. She has always had a vivid imagination, and has loved to talk with her stuffed animals since she could first utter words. She first started talking to an imaginary friend about six months ago. Now, however, Miss has several different friends that she talks to and plays with on a regular basis. Her favorite imaginary friend right now is none other than Mr. Lunt, a gourd who has gained fame as a member of the Veggie Tales cast. She often insists that I push Mr. Lunt in the swing at the playground, that I give him food at the dinner table, that I open the car door for him, that I put his seat belt on, that I bathe him, and that I kiss him goodnight. I am also asked to perform similar tasks, at other times, for various other Veggie Tales characters, and for other friends named Jeffery, Kelly, Michael, and Maura.

Perhaps our Miss has a real gift in her ability to imagine, and maybe she'll use that in an amazing way someday. Or, maybe she's hearing voices in her head and we should be concerned. I think I'll just go with the first option.

No comments: