Thursday, June 22, 2006

Big Day for Little Guy


I've already found, in my few years as a parent, that things can change remarkably quickly with little ones. Just when it seems that we've reached equilibrium and we feel that we can predict the normal patterns of the littles, one of them grows or changes in some way, and *poof* everything in our daily lives is different.

Today, as I was reading with the little Peanuts in their bedroom, I noticed that Master was intently staring at Miss's bed. He was cruising around it, surveying it, and - suddenly - he was on top of it. He sat there, looking quite pleased with himself, and then proceeded to dive off of it, face first. In that split second, I could envision the new primary activity of my life over the course of the next six months or so. Yes, dear reader, we have entered the "I can climb up on it, but I have no idea how to get off of it" stage. Master, as I would have expected, continued to climb upon and dive off of Miss's bed for the remainder of our time in the bedroom.

I remember well this fantastic stage with Miss. I recall that I developed lightening-quick reflexes during this time, as I made it from one end of the room to the other in a split second to catch her as she awkwardly dismounted from the couch. Or chair. Or toy chest. Or changing table. I am hoping that these finely tuned skills will serve me well as we enter this stage with Master.

Later in the day, I discovered two new teeth in the little guy's mouth, with a couple more on the verge of breaking through. And, to top it all off, the excitement of climbing onto the bed has obviously inspired Master to attempt new things in other areas. Tonight, he stood on his own for the first time. The obvious excitement all over his face was so adorable.

I'll keep those little dimples in mind when I become frustrated with all of the spills and thrills that the next months will bring.

No comments: