Monday, September 11, 2006

Remembering

It was strange, today, to be remembering September 11th, 2001, while going about my daily routine with two children who weren't even born on that day. I knew of the anniversary and it's importance, but avoided all forms of news in order to shield the littles from any disturbing discussions or images.

I thought back to what was happening in our lives on this day in 2001. We were just getting settled into seminary in Chicago. I was worried about a new job that wasn't going so well, and Mr. was loving the life of a full-time student. We had only been married for a year and a half. I had to work all day while listening to reports of what was happening on the radio. Mr.'s classes were canceled, and a special chapel was convened for students and faculty. He spent a good deal of time that day watching news coverage on television. I didn't see any images until I arrived home from work that evening. It was all so frightening and surreal.

So much has changed in our lives over the past five years. The biggest changes came in the form of our little peanuts. I realized, looking at them today, that it won't be long before the innocence they now possess regarding world events is gone. Soon, I won't be able to keep information about terrorists and wars away from their little eyes and ears.

But, for now, they are a blessed reminder of what it is like to exist without such knowledge. The biggest tragedy in Miss's life today came in the form of me saying that we had to put an end to our singing and dancing in the basement in order to get ready for bed. I'm glad that there is, at least, a little while when life is like that.

Here are the Peanuts, taken today on the basement stairs:





No comments: