Friday, September 08, 2006

Another Milestone


For the past 14 months, all of my days have begun in the same manner.

I walk over to Master's crib, pick him up, feeling his little fuzzy head snuggled against my neck. I walk to the couch, locate the receiving blanket, and nurse my little guy.

For the first time in 14 months, my morning did not begin that way today. Master is officially weaned. I am sadder about this transition than I expected to be. When Miss stopped nursing, it seemed very natural. She had been walking for 6 months by the time she was weaned. As she was nursing, her little legs were moving and she was crawling all over me in a bizarre attempt to keep running while still obtaining some mommy-milk. We were both ready for the transition to occur.

Master, on the other hand, has just begun to really walk. He still loves to nurse, and he loves to snuggle with me. He was less than thrilled this morning when I popped him into his high chair and gave him a handful of cereal rather than his customary morning appetizer.

I am planning a short trip at the beginning of next month, and so it seems the right time for our nursing relationship to end. I will miss the built-in snuggle time in our day, though. This change is a true indication that his little-babyhood is behind us. *Sigh*

The fun of watching him walk around the house, flashing those dimples and laughing as he toddles by, almost makes up for the sadness of saying goodbye to something so sweet.

No comments: