Monday, December 18, 2006

Learning to Talk


Few things are as heartwarming as listening to your child's first words. Master is using more and more words these days, and we are beginning to get more and more of a glimpse into his little mind.

His favorite word right now is "book." A while ago, Mr. Peanut started the ritual of allowing Master to choose his bedtime reading material. Each night, he carefully selects a favorite from the shelf, looks at me with a big grin, and says "Thiiiis. Thiiiiis booookk." He hands me "Owl Babies" or "Goodnight, Moon", backs himself onto my lap, and settles in for a snuggle and a read. At the conclusion of the book, he squirms from my lap, and heads straight for the bookshelf to make another selection. This process is repeated a few times, until I place him in his crib, with his little hands still wrapped around the last book we read together.

If I fail to remember that he wants to take a book to bed, he adamantly reminds me by pointing at the bookshelf and again declaring, "Thiiiis! Boooookkk!!"

Just a small thing. A tiny part of our day. But such a reason to smile. Hearing our little guy's voice. Beginning to know his favorite things, and getting to share those with him. Amazing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sweet! It is fun to learn more about little Jack. We are looking forward to spending some time with him!
Love,
Faith

Anonymous said...

I can hardly wait to hear little Master Peanut's voice. I love him so much. I am glad that you take the time, dear Mrs. Peanut, to fill us in on all the news of the little Peanuts! It means so much to us Grand Peanuts!!

All my love,
Grandma Greer Peanut