Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Reason to be Thankful


It suddenly dawned on me today that Thanksgiving is but two days away. I have not had much opportunity to think about the approaching holiday, because of a sick boy who has decided that he cannot live without my physical presence throughout the *entire* day. Yes, little Master has contracted some sort of nasty virus, and will only play for very short periods of time before staggering over to me, crying, and falling head first into my lap. He would not eat a bite of lunch today unless my hand was acting as a resting place for his little cheek. It is oh-so-sweet in many ways, but oh-so-exhausting in others.

Trying to keep the little guy afloat, while also trying to pretend to be "Cinderella's Daddy" (Miss thinks that all of the princesses in her Disney video are dancing with their daddies) is a tricky proposition.

But, now that the house is quiet, I am reminded that even this time is a blessing. Having a little girl who loves to pretend with me, and a little boy who needs my touch and reassurance is surely a brief chapter in life. I regularly read a blog written by a woman with older children. This week she is bemoaning the fact that her boys are grown and will not be home for Thanksgiving this year. It reminds me that I have reason to be thankful in these circumstances. And, I hope that when I am in her shoes, I can remember that I will have reason to be thankful then, as well.

No comments: