Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Cold

Really. Truly. Cold.

Here are the facts:

Bitter cold this morning with 8 A.M. temperatures around -9 below (wind-chill -23 below) then 0 degrees (wind-chill -11 below) at noon and +4 degrees (wind-chill -9 below) at sunset (4:33 P.M.). Winds today will be from the East-Southeast at 5 to 10 mph.

We encountered our first ever frozen pipe today, which was thankfully thawed by my hair dryer. I bundled up in my coat-that-looks-like-I'm-wearing-a-down-comforter and headed off for a hair cut this morning. The traction control system on the van was working overtime, and I saw a car that had obviously skidded off the road and right into the side of our local library. I also saw kids jumping up and down to warm themselves as they waited for the school bus. I recalled being "cold" in Southern California when it would sometimes be in the 40's as I waited for the bus in high school. Little did I know what it means to be *cold.*

1 comment:

Sharon said...

yes, we just returned from visiting my parents where everyone complained about how cold it was and my dad left the heat running all night long to make sure the kids stayed warm. It's nice to be back in Sacramento where it's a little closer to actually "winter-like." My spoiled children complain about playing outside because its so cold they actually have to put shoes on.

Oh, and baseball sign-ups are next week. Somewhat depressing -- indicator that spring is on its way.