Saturday, July 21, 2007

Pregnancy Insomnia

Perhaps it is the heartburn. Perhaps it is the fact that a crow bar is needed in order to roll my gigantic self over in bed. Perhaps it is all of the thoughts racing through my mind. Whatever the cause, I am having a lot of trouble sleeping lately. It is always this way for me during the final month or so of pregnancy. It is annoying and difficult, especially when the two littles will be wide awake at approximately 6:30 AM, ready to enthusiastically tackle another day. At least it does prepare one for the rigors of late night feedings once the baby arrives. It won't require much of an adjustment for me to function on very little sleep.

Thankfully, my kids are thoroughly enjoying the beautiful summer days we have been having in the Twin Cities. They happily entertain themselves in the back yard with the wading pool, the wagon, and a couple of cups in which they can collect dirt, leaves, and weeds. Master's favorite toys right now are a couple of sticks he found that look something like airplanes. It's the little things, and inevitably the cheap/free things that make all of the difference, folks. While the littles are enjoying these diversions, I am able to plop into a yard chair with a glass of iced tea and exert very little energy. Come to think of it, maybe I should get up from said chair and run a few laps around the yard with the kiddos. Maybe that would help with the sleeping. Then again, maybe I would keel over in a heap, requiring Miss to dial 911. I think I'll stay in the chair.

I can also rejoice that the children continue to be easily entertained by yours truly. This is the response I can elicit merely by crossing my eyes:



Yep. Even when I'm cranky, frumpy and frustrated by lack of sleep, they still think I'm great. I know it won't always be this way, and so I'll be thankful for it right now. And I'll be glad that it can help to sustain us all through some tiring times in our immediate future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope you get some sleep! I read the cutest book in the vein of Frog and Toad, called Upstairs Mouse, Downstairs Mole by Wong Herbert Yee.