Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Our Little Tenderheart

Five minutes ago, Miss came tip-toeing down the basement stairs, calling "mommy? mommy??"

"What are you doing out of bed?" I asked, smiling at this little girl in her fuzzy, footed pajamas.

"Well, Mommy, I need you to take me back to bed, and pray with me about that scary restaurant."

Ah, the scary restaurant. One week ago, Mr. and I had the unfortunate idea of taking the children to the Rainforest Cafe in the nearby Mall of America. If you have dined at this establishment, you know that it offers so-so food in a jungle-themed setting. Gorillas descend from the ceiling and dance at appointed times, and the sound effects of thunderstorms punctuate your meal. There are many colorful and bright decorations meant to attract children, including aquariums scattered throughout the dining room, and there is even a man who roves from table to table fashioning balloon animals.

We should have know that this was not the place for Miss. When she was but a year old we took her to the same chain at Downtown Disney in California, and she was thoroughly horrified by the experience. She was shaking and crying and had to be removed from the premises immediately.

Now, at the ripe old age of 3 and a half, we thought that perhaps she would enjoy it. We happened upon it as we walked through the mall, and asked her if she wanted to go in. She thought it looked like fun, and so we decided to give it a try.

Bad decision.

All was well at first, and we placed our dinner order. Miss looked at the aquarium, Master took it all in stride, and Mr. and I had a discussion about how we would rather *die* than have the job of our safari-guide / waiter.

Then, the gorillas began to dance.

It was all over. Miss was in my lap, crying and holding onto me for dear life. She has had bad dreams ever since.

Miss has a very tender heart, and we are beginning to realize that this aspect of her character will not be changing drastically anytime soon. And so, we will work to protect her. We help her hide her eyes when we pass by a store with frightening Halloween costumes on display. We fast forward through Veggie Tales songs that make her uncomfortable.

And we most definitely will not EVER be going to the Rainforest Cafe again.

4 comments:

Darren Prince said...

it's funny, sounds like Jesse is able to tolerate a bit more than Miss, but he had a "Peter and the Wolf" CD that gave him nightmares for a week or so before we could figure out what was causing them. poor kid--we were putting him to bed everynight with a CD that was scaring the crap out of him!

Anonymous said...

Hey Peanut's, remember the Shreck at X-mas that one year. How sad I thought that was, thank goodness she came to like that. I guess you never know, I went with my friend and her kids years ago to Disneyland and one of hers was scared of the Jungle Ride. Now hearing this reminds me how old I am and how much you forget about being a child. Love you, Mr and Mrs HB

Anonymous said...

That is so funny!!! I love it!!! :)
xoxo,
Lori

Anonymous said...

Oops...meant to post to the Sunday school classes...COws...lol...silly little girl...

Poor little thing...I love that God puts some special quality to each of our kids...It is so sweet to see that in it's infant form and to watch how God will use that one day. :) I will be praying for the little Miss. :(