Sunday, March 19, 2006

She's 3



Three years ago tonight, I sat in a tiny apartment, waiting for your Daddy to return from work. I had no idea what the next hours would bring, or what the next days, months, and years would bring. As it turned out, there would be pain, exhaustion, confusion, exasperation, love, joy, blessing, wonder. The three years of knowing you have been the most rewarding of my life. I have watched in amazement as you change every day. First, it was watching you learn to move, roll, sit, stand and walk. Then, even more incredibly, it was watching you learn to express yourself with words. "Mama", "Dada", "duck", "banana", "more", "ball" . . . "violin", "invaluable".

Three years ago we gave you the name Hesed, because of our belief in and experience of God's eternal mercy and love. The privilege of participating in your little life has truly taught me the meaning of this word. In my love for you, I have learned to understand and be humbled by the Father's love for us. Though you struggle against it at times, I usually know what is best for you and long to lead you and protect you. I know that I, too, am often a struggling child, who foolishly resists my Father's care and direction. Before you were born, a friend told me that parenting would teach me more about God's love than any other experience ever could. I am so thankful that God has shown us His Hesed in giving us you.

3 kisses when you wake,
3 candles on your cake.

Happy Birthday, Boo!

No comments: